Tuesday, February 21, 2012

1 Corinthians 13 - Love Did I miss something?

So if you have grown up in the south and been to a wedding you have more than likely heard some, if not all, of first corinthians 13 read. I know for me I had almost written that chapter off as I knew it. I am married and me and my wife had talked about this passage for a long time. However, there is a key part of this passage that the Lord showed me last night during our Journey group that I was completely missing.

Most people, especially me, always looked to this passage on how I should love my bride. And granted this is a really good passage for that. However, the context of this book of scripture is not that at all, rather Paul is writing to a church that is facing some major challenges. This passage is focused on how do we love each other in this way. This was a new concept to me last week as I started reading through this passage. However, if we are to live out our faith we must love each other.

Here's where the Lord pierced me though last night. How are we ever going to approach any other human being on this earth if we don't approach our savior with that love. Many times in my prayer life I go to God with little patience, little gratitude and kindness, a lot of pride, and 9 out of 10 times it is self seeking. I think for a lot of us we tend to forget that this same sort of love (which Christ so evidently gives) is how we are to approach our savior. If we want to show everyone around us the love of Christ, we must approach our relationship with Christ with the love described in 1 Corinthians 13.

I hope that this challenges you to work for the next days/weeks/months on growing in intimacy with Christ. I invite you to join our Journey group as we go through Alvin Reid's free e-book Pursuing God: a 40 day guide to personal revival.

No comments:

Post a Comment